Friday, January 29, 2010

New Day

I stayed up late last night (especially for me!) watching TV until 11:30 pm!! I think my mind had to unwind from my endless hours of studying. I was up at 7 and felt unusually refreshed. No sleeping pills last night! Usually I drag myself out of bed and always have a 'hangover' type feeling.

The plan for the day is to start with a 3 mile run. Not looking forward to it since I haven't ran since Monday. After that I will practice my IV drip lab. I finally figured it out thanks to the EPN and the videos I posted yesterday! I felt like I wasted so much time figuring that out. When I look back now, I'm glad it didn't go right because I feel as if I have a complete understanding how an IV works.

The rest of the day will be spent digging further into the areas of care, referencing textbooks and yes, taking more notes! I'm also going to pick one other lab to focus on and understand all the concepts/rationals that pertain to it.

Many people get through this exam by creating 'mnemonics' which are funny words/sayings that help remember the critical elements of each area of care. After the planning phase, people flip their PCS form over and place them into a 'grid.' I had several people tell me 'learn your mnemonics first.' Oh hell no, I wasted so much time sifting through mnemonics and collecting/compiling others and I still looked at them thinking there would be little details that I would forget. I decided it's best to wait until I know the material inside and out before choosing and/or creating the mnemonics I need.

For any of you who are just starting to prepare for the CPNE and seek organization, I recommend the following:

First of all, find a local print shop in your area. Have the CPNE study guide printed. I had mine done for about $12 and spiral bound. However, I now wish I would've had them punch it with 3 holes for a binder.

I used pocket dividers and divided it into the following sections:
Planning, Evaluation, Labs, Overriding Areas of Care, Required Areas of Care, Selected Areas of Care Related to Assessment, Selected Areas of Care Related to Management and Other Areas of Selected Care.

In the pockets I put blank forms for the Planning, Evaluation and Labs to practice with. I compiled all the mnemonics I had and typed them up and put them in sheet protectors associated with each area of care.

It took me a long time to figure out how to 'dissect' and 'break down' this exam. Hopefully this helps someone! It was one of those 'little' things that caused me to waste time.

Time to go run................

3 comments:

  1. erin this is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nate!! So glad you're supportive!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of us that are overwhelmed with all the study material and study guide the is very helpful to read how someone else broke it up and studied. Thank you so much for all that you are doing.

    ReplyDelete